Thursday 14 October 2021

That Static Light Fitting

I'm having great difficulty finding a suitable canoe or kayak for conversion into a light fitting for hanging over the static caravan dining table. Firstly they're simply too long and secondly they're damned expensive.

I did think about buying something a bit tatty and giving it a wood-effect, vinyl wrap, but there's still the problem of unwieldy length. Ideally I don't want anything longer than about 6 feet.

However, I then thought about a water ski and found this one on e-Bay yesterday at a reasonable price and bought it. Delivery next week.


It's a vintage, wooden mono-ski and thus perfect in terms of size (1.72m) and composition, although the foot rubbers have been removed, which detracts from identifying it as a water ski. However, I believe they're easy to source.

I also found a cheap surfboard on Facebook Market in Bath yesterday for £50, which I will also do a conversion on after tidying it up and giving it a nice spray. I wondered what the hell the bottom of it was covered with but, of course, it's surfboard wax, which needs to be totally removed before I do any painting. A heat gun and scraper, followed by a wash down with hand sanitizer should do the trick. The theme of the static is terracotta and light grey and the surfboard would look rather swish in those shades with some 12v spotlights sunk into it.



I'm thinking of putting the mono-ski in the static's kitchen, over the dining table, and the surfboard in the living room ceiling rose. If the surfboard doesn't suit the living room as a ceiling light, I'll turn it into some wall art for somewhere else in the caravan, or even our house.


No comments: