Wednesday 23 March 2022

Mk V Lampshade Adjustment

 Made the necessary adjustment to the Mk V lampshades yesterday.

I sawed off the black and gold flake bottoms, which I thought hideous, and reinserted the shades into resin with gold powder mixed into it.



It didn't work as well as expected, as the gold powder did a voyage to the bottom of the mold before the resin cured. However, it didn't look too bad. I should perhaps have waited for the resin to start solidifying before adding the gold powder, so that it remained in suspension.

Yesterday was my birthday (thanks to those who sent me birthday wishes. To those who didn't - you bastards!) and so Hay had bought me some pieces of cloth as a present so I can make more lampshades.



Zebra print, bee print, a light speckled print and music notation print. Given the shades rise from the centre of the square of cloth I use, the print on the fabric has to be at 180 degree alternations, else the front will be OK, but the back would be upside down - or the reverse - if you get my meaning.

Because of the above limitation, the music print may prove difficult in terms of symmetry.

I also bought a 55cm x 55cm piece of aluminium sheet to aid me as a cutting guide for the cloth.

My birthday present to myself was a Mathmos, tealight powered lava lamp.



Naff, but I love them - they're so relaxing to watch.

2 comments:

Roger said...

Please accept my humble apologies for neglecting to remember your birthday. Many happy returns.
Roger

Chairman Bill said...

Apology accepted.