Tuesday 15 March 2022

Mk V Lampshade

I finished the Mk V but, once more, learned a few things on the way.

I bought some black and gold glitter in leaf form to put into the resin base (it's gold on one side and black on the other), but it was for nails, difficult to separate and ended up clumping. 

As for trying to keep the leaf out of the centre of the base (so the light coming up from the bottom wasn't impeded)  - impossible. I ended up with a lot of light obstruction in the centre.

For the 2nd lamp I didn't even bother trying to keep the leaf around the outer edges and simply mixed it up in the mold before plonking the shade into the resin.


I solved the problem by drilling a large hole in each lamp's resin base when cured. Yes, it took some weight out of the base, but didn't affect the stability.


What I need is small, regular, square flakes, not leaf - and just gold, not gold and black. The black just made the base look dirty when it crumbled into into very small pieces.


So, overall I'm pleased with the shape, but not with the glitter in the base. The black just doesn't work.



No comments: