Monday 14 March 2022

Plastics

Ever since we were encouraged to recycle soft plastics, I've been taking ours to the local Tesco, going before 7am to ensure I'm not in crowds of people not wearing masks (cases in South Glos are going through the roof, but you wouldn't know it and the NHS set up a popup vaccination centre last Friday).


Recently, they've moved the bins for the plastics from the store entrance to the 1st floor, which makes it difficult to drop them off, as whatever receptacle you carry the plastics in has to be carried around with you while you shop. Yes, you can carry the plastics to the receptacles in a large bin bag and dump the lot, but that's yet another needless item of plastic.

I queried a checkout lady yesterday and she said it had been done on purpose so as to reduce the amount of plastic Tesco has to handle, which makes sense, but isn't exactly going along with the ethos of encouraging recycling.

She did, however, give me a tip - put the plastics in a shopping trolley to drop them off and do my shopping with a trolley. I usually use a large shopping bag and can't remember the last time I used a trolley - but she made an excellent suggestion.

Talking of plastics - I've discovered UV resin. It sets in minutes using UV light, rather like those fillings you get at the dentist. Bloody expensive though.


1 comment:

Geo. said...

Save trolley manoeuvres - Just empty your bin bag and stick it in your pocket for re-use.