Saturday 23 July 2022

Pembrokeshire Kayak Path

Yesterday we decided to kayak the route we'd walked the previous day - Freshwater East to Barafundle Beach. It's been a while since we last had the kayaks out, as we've mainly been staying inland and haven't had the opportunity, nor the weather. 

It was the best enjoyment I've had in a long time. I thought Lee Bay in Devon was good for kayaking, but the Pembrokeshire coastline in this area is simply stunning.

Paddling while using a mobile phone to shoot photos and videos is fraught with danger - I must get myself a hat-mounted Go-Pro camera.


On the outward journey we hugged the coastline. Hay then proceeded to have a swim at Barafundle, while I went on the inspect a rather attractive, arched rock formation at the southern end of Barafundle Bay, colleting her on the way back. 

We called in at Stackpole Quay for a cream tea at the National Trust cafe before heading back to Freshwater. I decided to make a beeline for our final destination, but got caught by tide and wind, having to head inland and hug the coast after nearly being swamped by a roller cutting across my direction of travel.

It took roughly the same time as walking, but there were no uphill bits to give my right knee gyp. A thoroughly satisfying day - much better than walking.

We're thinking of selling the 2 one-man kayaks and getting a two person jobbie, which will give us a better power to weight ratio, as well as some additional cargo carrying capacity. To get the kayaks the half mile from the caravan park to the beach, we used a small trolley that sits in holes in the bottom of one kayak, tying the other to the top of the first kayak. That meant, obviously, that the trolley had to come with us on our excursion - and I pulled the short straw, having it strapped to the arse end of my kayak, where the wheels got a bit in the way and slightly chaffed my arms as I was paddling (not badly).

The next thing I want to do is get a very large Ziplock bag into which I can put the electric bike and tow it behind me, the air in the Ziplock providing sufficient buoyancy to keep it afloat....


2 comments:

Lynda G said...

What you need is a “dry bag”. They are made to be watertight so if your stuff falls overboard it doesn’t get wet. I don’t know that they make them big enough for what you want though.

George said...

You could get a couple of sea kayaks - that'd give you both plenty of storage capacity as well as more speed and with rudder much better steerage in seas.
A double is good but not if you want to go solo at any time or in different directions. There's the logistics of transport weight/length to consider with doubles too.