Tuesday 20 September 2022

Gilbert & Sullivan

I dipped in and out of the Old Queen's funeral service while grouting the AirBnB shower room and mowing the more overgrown areas of the lawn - more out than in, if I'm honest - but what I did see was pure Gilbert & Sullivan and spectacular theatre, which Brits seem world leaders in performing. I was surprised Danny Boyle hadn't been involved. It's little wonder we have the best theatre in the world.


It is strange, however, that the military's full dress uniforms stopped evolving in the early 1800s and they wouldn't have been out of place at Waterloo or Balaclava, which is probably a massive contributor to the spectacle, although how they fought in such finery is a mystery. 

Not the RAF, of course, as that wasn't invented then, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that the RAF dress uniform doesn't evolve as time passes and remains stuck between the Wars. Interestingly, a full dress, plumed hat was developed for the RAF, but it proved unpopular and eventually dropped, although George VI, when Duke of York, carried one at his wedding (but didn't wear it).


Can't wait for Charles' coronation next year, although he's meant to be considering a much slimmed down version from the one his mother had.

Got my call-up papers for my next Covid jab, which is being administered to me today at Bath Racecourse. 


No comments: