Saturday 14 January 2023

London Crime

A quick overheard:

Chairman: "Fancy watching some more Netflix Bodies? I just want to see that bastard Roger hung out to dry."

Hay: "Ah, yes, but I can't help feeling I've seen too much of Max Beasley's bum going up and down on some poor woman."

A quick aside - my copy of Harry's book never arrived from Amazon. I received an email saying they couldn't deliver it and my payment would be refunded. Can't understand why, unless they'd run out; however, Hay ordered another copy on her account and that should arrive today. Perhaps my copy is languishing on that Air NZ flight from Mexico to London.

Back to the subject. 

It would seem that anyone is to blame when crime rises, but when it falls, as homicides and knife crime has in London, it's open season on who wants to claim responsibility, and it's invariably the government.


I was listening to LBC yesterday morning where callers were commenting on Sadiq Khan's comments on Brexit. The overriding theme was that he should concentrate on knife crime rather than Brexit, but when the figures are inspected it transpires that nine homicides were gun enabled in 2022, which was a 25% fall and the lowest figure since 2014. A total of 69 homicides were knife enabled, which was a 17% reduction and equal to the pre-pandemic figure for 2019.

Who will claim the kudos? The government can't blame the Mayor of London when knife crime rises and then take the credit when it goes down, but I bet they will.


No comments: