Sunday 14 November 2010

Goodbye Old Friend


My good friend Richard over at Falling Through An Endless Summer Sky (who had been suffering from cancer for a couple of years) slipped into a coma a couple of days ago and died at 3:30 this morning.

I spoke with him on the phone only last week and he seemed chipper enough, if somewhat tired; however, the final stages of cancer result in multiple organ failure, which produces a rapid decline, ensuing coma and fairly swift death.

Richard Collinson

Richard was one of a dwindling band of brothers who served in the HMS Conway, one of a triumvirate of schools with a deep nautical flavour – the others being HMS Worcester and HMS Pangbourne. Of the three only Pangbourne still exists (as Pangbourne College), but without the naval tradition.

Richard’s acerbic wit will be missed by all who knew him.


3 comments:

Lovely's Blot said...

Sorry to hear about that. Send my wishes to Gavin.

The Girl With The Mousy Hair said...

I am so sorry to hear this sad news.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of the Irascible's passing, Sir... My fondest wishes to all those who will miss his vibrancy and spirit x