Tuesday 29 August 2017

Boxing with a Watch


Overheard watching the McGregor Mayweather fight on YouTube:

Hay: "McGregor used to box when he was a teenager, and he trained as a plumber. That must have helped him."

Chairman: "You mean the U bend manoeuvre?"

I must say the exhibition of sportsmanship on the part of both fighters after the match was exemplary, despite the pre-match hype (which was obviously orchestrated to build up a larger audience). McGregor quitted himself well and I'm sure we'll hear a lot more of him, but experience counted in the end.

I can understand people abhorring boxing and I respect that view; however, I'm ambivalent and, although I'm not a follower of boxing, I can enjoy a good match, as I did the McGregor Mayweather one. Any sport is dangerous and horse riding, gymnastics, bull riding, rugby and hockey result in far more injuries. Boxers are skilled and despite being opposed to boxing, many who decry it are quite willing to sit in front of a TV on a Saturday night and watch people being psychologically abused on so-called talent shows, which have turned into the TV equivalent of Lions vs Christians. Boxers are trained to take the abuse; talent show contestants aren't.

Have you noticed that men almost all men wear watches, while teenagers don't? Given we all carry mobile phones that tell us the time much more accurately than a watch, the watch wearing things must surely be an anachronistic habit (if you'll pardon the pun)?



If wearing watches is going to be a thing of the past, people are still going to need very expensive clock apps on their mobile phones. Companies like Patek Philippe and Rolex are going to have to rise to the challenge with expensive apps, or develop their own branded mobile phones.


3 comments:

Steve Borthwick said...

"Plubber"? :)

Watches are more "fashion statement" than scientific instrument these days IMO.

Chairman Bill said...

Thanks for spotting the typo.

Roger said...

I wear a watch but it has to be accurate. It's more convenient than getting out your mobile phone. To the amusement of those that I work with I also use a calculator. I use a modern retro styled RPN one.