Thursday 10 August 2017

Inquisitive Asians


Working for myself, as I now am, I send between 50 and 100 personally addressed emails a day to try and drum up business from shipping companies. The people I'm aiming at are all over the world, so I start emailing those in the far east at the crack of dawn, moving on to Europe in the late morning and finishing off with the Americas in the afternoon.

At the end of the email I include a link to a presentation in my Dropbox and the link is reduced to a Bitly link, so I can track the number of downloads and the country (the latter being only very approximate, as you'd be surprised at how many show as the USA when they're not).

I aim for some 5 presentation downloads a day as a target - sometimes I get 20 or more, at other times I only get 3, but it averages out at around 5 a day. Of those, I may get two or three people responding per week with a valid enquiry that I hope I can convert into a contract - each contract being worth anything from $200k to $3m plus in revenue over 3 years (the profit is very slim).

I've discovered a few interesting things falling out of this email campaign. For a start, the link to the presentation is at the end of the email, meaning the prospective customer has to read the entire email before reaching the link, indicating a certain level of interest. Then clicking on the link exhibits an additional level of interest.


In the last month I've sent out around 1,100 unsolicited emails, but only started tracking presentation downloads since the 18th July, but one thing I started to notice almost immeditely is that people I target in the far east are much more inquisitive. Yesterday, for example, I got 14 downloads from just 50 emails, which is an incredibly high rate. I can be lucky to get just one download from 50 emails sent to European prospects.


No comments: