Friday 4 August 2017

Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg


The Dubai Torch tower lived up to its name. Shares in skyscrapers are going to be two a penny after this. You wouldn't get me in one of those for all the tea in China (or India).

Say what you like about Prince Philip, but the man is a national treasure.  I read an anthology of his quips yesterday and I just couldn't stop laughing. His wit is incisive and, yes. he may be a throwback to an earlier age, but I hope I'm that active at 96, if I reach that age. He's never even gone out on strike or worked to rule - working to rule is his wife's domain.

I still remain a republican though, however much I admire him. With Philip (and Elizabeth) we got a gem, but that's not assured, as the long list of tyrannical or embarrassing aristocrats throughout history attests.

Looking at comments on various sites a few people are keen to vilify him, but to me he epitomises duty. Yes, he's had a life of luxury, but he has more than compensated for that and given back so much. He's outspoken on some things, but he's had to keep silent on many issues he simply can't talk about, much as I'm sure he would love to. That's self-control.


I love this photo of him from last year.

He may have retired, but he has one more occasion to make an appearance at (albeit we won't actually see him), and I trust that's not too soon.


No comments: