Monday 23 July 2018

Vegan Fare


No.2 Son's girlfriend is vegan. This would normally be enough to send me into paroxysms of denunciation and a show trial for good measure. However, in a moment of ennui I decided to cook a vegan meal - I was quite surprised, I actually liked it.


You have to be so damned careful with some ingredients - no cheese or eggs or milk - or even milk powders. Makes you realise how difficult it can be, unless you just stick to using real vegetables and nothing pre-prepared.

Now this recipe is called Mediterranean baked sweet potatoes and is quite simple to make, but if you look for vegan recipes on the internet - indeed any bloody recipe - you get acres of shots of the finished article and reams of waffle before you actually get to the recipe itself. Here's a prime example. So annoying.

On previous weekends I spent ages scouring supermarket shelves for pre-prepared vegan meals, but the results are pitiful, and very expensive - you'd think you were asking for the impossible. Much better to make something yourself from scratch.

Back to a meat-based diet this week...


2 comments:

Roger said...

Off - topic. My son got married yesterday near to Tetbury, I believe that is in your part of the woods.

Jem said...

The reams of waffle are to improve the search engine ranking of that particular recipe :)