Friday 3 August 2018

Generalising Viral Infections


I've reached the conclusion that Brexit is a virus. Now I'm not sure whether it attacks people lacking the faculty of critical thinking, or whether it attacks that faculty, rendering the sufferer liable to intense bouts of dogma on certain issues.

It would be interesting to see whether there's a correlation between religiosity and support for Brexit. I suspect not, as I know some religious people who are not in support of Brexit, but the mechanism is remarkably similar. Perhaps the religion virus and Brexit virus are closely related, but different strains - mutations, as it were.


An apt image, I thought, capturing both the Brexit and religion viruses in one, fell swoop.

Hay and I were having a discussion about something or other yesterday and she said that one can't generalise, which got me thinking. We can and do generalise all the time - we're pattern recognising animals and generalisation is part and parcel of what we are and how we survive. Generalising is a heuristic that makes life less complicated. Perhaps the viruses mentioned above are the result of over-generalisation in an effort to make the complex more comfortable and reassuring, resulting in not having to think too much about the complexities - a defence mechanism...

Talking of religion, I hear the Pope has come out against the death penalty in all cases. Given the church has a consistent record of being wrong about almost everything, I may have to change my opinion from anti-death penalty to pro-death penalty, or is that an over-generalisation? Of course, it could just be the usual case of the church coming to its senses rather late, which again is consistent with its track record.


1 comment:

Steve Borthwick said...

Where secular morality leads, churches/religions now follow.