Tuesday 16 July 2019

Gulf


Went to a garage in Frampton Cotterell yesterday and spotted this old petrol pump which the owner, Paul, has on display outside the garage. It dates from the 60s.


I just love the colours of the old Gulf racing livery, which was used by a variety of cars in Le Mans.


The legendary Ford GT40.


The Porsche 917 driven in the film, Le Mans, starring Steve McQueen.


The updated GT40.


Even an MGB.
e

Doesn't look so good on a Fiat Abarth. Despite it being a fast little car, why would anyone want to drive a car that looks like a Fiat 500?


There are even Gulf liveried Triumph Daytonas.

The original Gulf colours were dark blue and orange, as in the image below, but the racing team manager thought the powder blue looked more exciting - and I agree.


Paul is a really nice chap - he offered to have a look at the Allen Scythe and get the flywheel off for me. I'll load it on the trailer later this week and see what he can accomplish. It was always my intention to give the Allen a make-over, so I might deck it out in Gulf racing livery if Paul manages to fix it.


No comments: