Wednesday 3 July 2019

Pooh Sticks II


Received a letter from the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Service to say they hadn't received my poo samples, yet I posted them over a month ago. Somewhere in the UK my poo samples are sculling around the postal system and, since the improvement in the weather, one hopes they are found soon.

I tried to make an appointment with my GP online yesterday to have a mole that has grown checked out, but the facility has been withdrawn for anything but a standard screening visit. 


Called in at the surgery and stood in-line with a few of others, which took about 30 minutes, averaging about 10 minutes per person - just to make an appointment. When I was my turn I was told they were taking only emergency appointments, but managed to get one at 4:40 the same day. 

Turned up for the appointment on time and had to wait 45 minutes beyond my time. While waiting I timed the patients before me (who were all elderly) and they averaged 15 minutes for their appointments, whereas the NHS allows only 10 minutes per consultation. I was in and out within 4 minutes.

I wondered whether GPs shouldn't follow what the train companies do to fiddle their punctuality targets and cancel a few appointments to get back on schedule. Sure a few patients would be very pissed off, but surely that's better than having them all pissed off as the day progresses?

Another thought would be to make the first 10 minutes free and charge thereafter. That would speed it up.


No comments: