Saturday 31 October 2020

Spinning Keys

This is something I've been meaning to post for a while, but keep forgetting - it's called old age; the forgetting bit, not what I'm going to post about, although a disturbing old age thing did happen this week, which I'll expand on later.

If, when in a car, you look at the wheels of a car overtaking you and then look forwards again, for a very split second, the wheel you were looking at appears stationary. It's not the stroboscopic, or waggon wheel effect from films, where the frame speed can make a wheel appear to go backwards.

It must have something to do with the sudden shift of the wheel from the focus of your eye to the peripheral vision and the different cells than kick into action. Try it yourself, as it could be just me.

As for the age related thing: Now let me remember what I was going to say.... Ah yes! I was looking for my keys the other day and couldn't find them. They're not exactly unrecognisable, having my car keys and a plethora of work keys on the keyring, not to mention a Saab keyfob.


I looked in the usual place - the key rack, but they weren't there. Looked on my desk - no. Went out to the car to check I hadn't left them there - no. Back to the key rack - again no. Went around the house several times, but still no keys. Finally went back to the key rack and bingo - there they were. I'd actually been looking at the damned things at least twice, but hand'nt recognised them.

No comments: