Monday 12 October 2020

The Continentals

Our MD decided to take a punt on a 2004 Bentley Continental with a 6 litre engine. The 4 litre is more popular, but I call this the Eco model - with 6 litres to satisfy, you're unlikely to drive it more than once or twice a year, so you'll save enormously on fuel. The rest of the time you'll be saving up for the next outing.





In keeping with large, luxury cars with big engines, they are starting to approach their price nadir, precisely because they're not that rare yet and they cost a bloody fortune to keep in fettle. Can't see anyone clamouring to buy this beast- it's the least popular version. One day, though, if it's kept at low miles and regularly serviced, it will become expensive again, although it's a mass produced Bentley under the VW brand and not coach-built.

There's no denying it's a nice looking car that was well ahead of its time in 2004, but I wouldn't like to own one today. Parts are phenomenally expensive, so It's not like the 1996 Mercedes SL 500 that I own and is almost comparable in performance (it ain't as heavy, for a start). 

My SL has doubled in price since I bought it for £5.5k, but I ain't selling it (unless something older in the SL marque comes up at a good price). The Continental is still falling in price, so best bought for laying down.

I still haven't cured the SL's misfire. All the diagnostics point to a faulty mass airflow sensor, but I've bought 3 x 2nd hand ones so far and it hasn't sorted the issue. It is possible I've purchased 3 faulty ones in a row, but highly unlikely. I've replaced both the inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets, but it continues to exhibit an air leak symptom. I'm in no rush to resolve it, as it's keeping the mileage below 100k while it increases in price.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Had a misfire problem with the Volvo took me a year to fix it still drove well though, but checked for air leaks, replaced every sensor I could find, changed the fuel filter, started playing with the wastegate and by chance found that the turbo was over boosting, I must’ve change the setting when I checked the turbo last year, Anyway working perfect now

Stag Lodge said...

When I first came to London at 20, I worked for a chap called Stanley Sedgwick who, as a sideline, was the Chair of the Bentley Drivers Club. He owned the prototype of the R type Continental. He lived in Cobham and would pick me up every morning in Putney to drive to our offices in Balfour Place behind Park Lane...... and drive me home. How lucky was I?!!