Monday 16 August 2021

Art Deco in Le Mans

The freewheel for the 2nd e-bike arrived yesterday and, yes, it looks like the correct part. 

Yesterday I watched the Steve McQueen film, Le Mans, which was made in between 1970 and 1971. I pondered on the fact that when the film was made, WWII was as far back for my father as 1996 is for me today, and 1996 is a blink as far as I'm concerned. In 1971, when I was 16, WWII seemed an eternity away. 

It was funny seeing what passed for state of the art caravans in 1970 for the drivers at Le Mans to live in during the race. Not a patch of modern, luxurious motorhomes the size of lorries.

I also watched some of the Formula E race from Berlin, which is specifically for electric racing cars. It sounded like a bunch of milk floats parading around the circuit. That said, a competitive Formula E series will do wonders for the technology of electric cars, as F1 did for fossil fuelled cars.

On Sunday we went to an antiques fair at Westonbirt School (a rather posh, local girls' school which has recently gone co-ed to make ends meet). I spotted these lights, which were absolutely fabulous and I wish I could afford them for the house.




They were originally from a Russian factory of the soviet era. Simply beautiful and perfect for lighting your tractor factory.


No comments: