Tuesday 31 August 2021

E-Bike Mounting

Despite No.2 e-bike not being 100% complete, yet fully functional (waiting for a black box for the controller and the wiring requires rerouting), I thought I'd try mounting them on the motorhome bike carrier. Not an arduous task, I hear you say, but they're very heavy and unwieldy.

I'd bought a hand-held weight gauge for weighing the refillable LPG cylinder, so I know how much LPG is left in the bottle (15kg is full and 10kg is empty). Seeing as it goes up to 50kg, I thought it ideal. The bike rack carrying capacity is 60kg max. My first e-bike with the 29 inch wheels weighed in at a whopping 29.5kg and the 2nd one was slightly less at 26.5 - just within the capacity.

Next I had to contend with the extremely wide handlebars of the 1st e-bike. along with the 29 inch wheels, but overcame the problem by putting the smaller bike on the inside and the large chappie with the humungous handlebars on the outside. You can see the size difference by the positioning of the wheels.


So the handlebars wouldn't foul each other, I placed one bike facing the offside and one facing the nearside. A couple of straps for added security finished the job. I reckon that should do the job without too much trouble, but it's a 2 person task because of the weight of the bikes.

I think I'll remove the batteries for actual transport, as it will reduce the weight by at least 15kg, as well as preventing people nicking them. A nice, protective rain cover wouldn't go amiss either.


No comments: