Sunday 8 August 2021

Freewheeling

Just before my admission to hospital, I called in at the local bike emporium to check on the progress on my 2nd e-bike, which was having the motor and Pedal Assist Sensor fitted, along with a general health check-up. 

The bike was nearly complete, but required a replacement, 9 gear freewheel. Blokey said they were quite rare and he was trying to find one from one of 3 suppliers. I was then admitted to hospital and forgot about the bike. 

I called in again on Thursday, only to ascertain that there had been no progress, but they'd neglected to call me to let me know. It had been languishing there for 2 weeks. I said I'd find one.


Came home, opened up eBay, put '9 gear freewheel' into the search box and was inundated by 9 gear freewheels. Bought one for £13 and am awaiting delivery. For good measure I had a look on Facebook Market and, lo and behold, there's a Shimano 9 gear freewheel halfway between here and Bath going for £20.

So much for them being hard to find. Mind you, the one on eBay is probably a cheap Chinese one with a lifespan of a nanosecond, but if that's not suitable I'll nip a few miles to collect the £20 Shimano cassette from the Facebook Market seller - can't see it being sold fast.

Hopefully, I'll have two, fully functioning e-bikes before the end of the week, ready to take with us on a planned trip in the van to the Peak District in a few weeks.


No comments: