Monday 30 August 2021

Lawn Clearance

Work progressed yesterday on clearing the unmown areas of the lawn - I bloody hate them, despite them being a haven for wildlife (although not much chance of that with 5 cats in the neighbourhood) and wildflower seeds.


Piles of mown grass all over the place and the patches where they came from are now brown stubble. The long stuff first needs attacking with a brush cutter, as the ride-on mower just runs it down without cutting it. The cut grass is then left for a few days to dry out and for the wildflower seeds to spill out on the ground before being raked up and the entire lawn mown.

Trigger's Ride-On Mower struck again yesterday when the clutch no longer worked. The problem was traced to the bolt holding the clutch and main driveshaft in place having loosened, resulting in the entire clutch assembly becoming disengaged. Turned the mower on its side, forgetting to switch off the fuel, resulting in the engine becoming flooded, which pissed out when put back upright. I thought I'd damaged something in the fuel line at first.

At least the lawn can now recover and be back to my preferred, verdant nature. I always mow the lawn with the grass box off, as it returns organic material to the soil. Hay hates it when I do this as, if the wind is in the wrong direction, the cut grass blows into her pond/lake. Yesterday, however, necessitated the grass box being mounted and me dumping piles of it all over the show for manual removal by Hay and her sister (I have to give them something to do in return for allowing the unmown areas).

I can't believe how the plants and trees have burgeoned this year - it must be the CO2...


No comments: