Monday 23 August 2021

Metal Umlaut for the £1 Bus Ticket

When we were in the Peak District for the weekend, Hay and I took a hike into Buxton and then caught a bus into Bakewell. I paid for the return ticket by contactless payment, receiving in return two tickets marked as £6.40 each, a total of £12.80.

On returning home yesterday I checked my accounts and was astonished to discover I'd only been charged £1, despite the face value of the tickets being many multiples of this. Inexplicable, unless the Buxton £ is of higher value than the Old Sodbury £.

Just a quick financial tip, if you're a NatWest customer. Get a NatWest Rewards credit card and make all your purchases on that, paying off the balance immediately after your purchase. You get 1% back. NatWest has given me several hundred quid back since I got the card. It costs £2 per month for the card, but you get that back for merely logging into your NatWest App a couple of times per month. I recently used the card to pay a £5,000 deposit and am eagerly waiting to find if I get £50 back. I'm sure other banks have similar promotions, but they're certainly worth it to save a bit of money.

While wandering around Buxton I spotted this gentlemen's shampoo bar - something we used to call a bar of soap in the old days. It's manufactured by a company called grüum


Now despite the umlaut in the name, the product is actually made in Manchester, so the Metal Umlaut, made famous by bands such as Blue Öyster Cult, Motörhead, Mötley Crüe and the parody band Spın̈al Tap, seems to have made the cross-over into men's toiletries.




No comments: