Sunday 29 August 2021

The Patio Heater

I managed to rescue some ironmongery from a car dealership in Chipping Sodbury, which shows some potential for upcycling.


It's one of those old containers for draining an engine sump into while the car is on a ramp. I thought I would cut a large dog kennel access shaped hole a few inches from the bottom, as a door, hack out the pipe on the top, widen the hole and weld a length of wood-burning stove chimney into it, which I just happen to have spare. A circular grate on the bottom would hold logs and insulate the bottom somewhat and a few holes in the bottom, perhaps with a circular damper, would facilitate a nice airflow.

To finish it off I'd burnish it with a drill-mounted wire brush and paint it with heat resistant engine paint. The fact it's on wheels makes is mobile and ideally suited for wheeling around the patio.


No comments: