Friday 14 January 2022

Don't Look Up

With a few exceptions, the critics have savaged Don't Look Up! Yet the public seems to love it, and I include myself in that number, not because it's a particularly good film, but because of the message it's conveying, which is particularly relevant today.


I generally respect Mark Kermode in his analyses of films - if he recommends it, I generally have a favourable view after watching it myself. He's the chief film critic for The Observer, which I read every Sunday.

I wonder whether the critics who don't like it work for the newspapers and media organisations that support populist politicians and actively engage in an anti-science stance in favour of ideology. Makes you think. However, the Guardian's film critic, Peter Bradshaw, was lukewarm about it, so perhaps I'm off the mark. 

If you look at the Comments Section on the Daily Mail's review, DM readers generally class it as Woke and have more to say about the private lives of the actors than the film which, from the comments, I doubt many have even seen. 

The Express Comments Section on the film, dated over a week ago, doesn't have a single comment, suggesting the vehemently Anti-Woke brigade hasn't watched it yet.


No comments: