Sunday 2 January 2022

Vintage

I'm an inveterate Facebook Market and eBay buyer; however; you know when you're getting on a bit when you see things that you remember well from only (what you believe to be) a few years ago being advertised as 'vintage'.

Talking of vintage, I snapped up a 1970s Georgia Jacob Ophelie lamp the other day on eBay:





Your sense of dress being shot to hell and gone is another sign you're getting on a bit. Whereas it wasn't that long ago that I'd look through my wardrobe and seek something stylish to wear on an average day, I now favour comfort and practicality over style. I must have about two pairs of trousers and 3 tops that I wear regularly - the rest may as well go to the charity shop. Yes, I'll keep one decent set of clothes and shoes for wedding and funerals and I'll even keep the dinner jacket for the once a year outing at the Old School Dinner, but beyond that I regularly look like a homeless person - although, to be fair, a lot of homeless people look better dressed than me.

Yet another sign of getting old is realising that when someone says; "100 years ago," like the previous record for a warm New Year's Day, that they're not referring to some date in the late 1800s, but 1922 - the year your mother was born and nearly a decade after your father was born.


No comments: