Monday 17 January 2022

SL500

Well, after my usual mechanic finally admitting defeat in over 3 years of diagnosis, I took the R129 SL500 to another garage and they miraculously managed to diagnose the misfire issue - after 2 months - they're convinced it has faulty wiring in the engine temperature sensor.


A new one was ordered from Germany and dropped off at the garage on Friday. The faulty wiring fooled the engine's computer brain into believing the engine was super hot, resulting in more fuel being dumped into it than it was capable of handling at the temperature it was actually at, with the result being a misfire when warm.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the diagnosis was correct and have ordered an MoT on that basis. It looks as if I may be using the car this coming summer, after which I may sell it, as it's doubled in price in the intervening 3 years. 


No comments: