Tuesday 27 February 2024

Arlington Row

A couple of weeks ago Hay and I went to some of the Cotswold villages and towns to scout a holiday destination for Hay's dad and his partner.

On the way there we went past Arlington Row in Bibury, a famous row of weavers' cottages that adorn many a chocolate box and is always infested by tourists snapping their cameras (especially Chinese tourists).


Hay asked me how old they were, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, where it mentioned that Arlington Row appears on the inside cover of every British passport.

When I got home I looked at my passport, but rather than an image of Arlington Row, I saw an image of nautical paraphernalia.


Intrigued, I looked through my old passports, but couldn't find Arlington Row. However, I found No.2 Son's old passport that expired in 2016 and was issued in 2011 - and there is was in all its bucolic splendour!


There was obviously a period when it was used, but no more, to be replaced with images that recall Britain's (no longer existing) maritime greatness. Brexit benefit.....

I also found Arlington Row in Hay's expired passport that was issued in 2003.


No comments: