Thursday 15 February 2024

Drone

Managed to finally purchase a replacement for the drone I lost which belonged to No.1 Son.


It's even a DJI Mini 2, whereas my son's was the lesser spec Mini SE, which had a 2.7k camera as opposed to a Mini 2's 4k. The Mini 2 also has 10 minutes greater flight time than the SE on a single charge. The seller provided me with 2 batteries, bringing the total complement of batteries to 3.

The Mini 2 also, allegedly, has anti-collision sensors that prevent you accidentally diving it into the ground. It detects its own height above the ground and ensures it stays a couple of feet above it when flying. I've seen videos of the system in action and it's very impressive, but I don't think I will be testing it in any hurry - the consequences, knowing my luck, could be expensive.

The problem with 2nd hand DJI drones is that the controller is bound to the drone through an account with DJI. If the drone and controller are subsequently sold, they are usually sold without the account details and in a bound condition, meaning you can't switch and swap controllers or drones if one of them goes squonk. Ideally you want to buy a set that's unbound so you can set up your own bonding account, if indeed you want one. The binding prevents someone else taking over your drone while in flight.

I now have a spare controller which is inextricably bound to a drone sitting on the bottom of a lake in the Forest of Dean, and therefore useless. I guess it may be worth something to an electronics geek.


No comments: