Thursday 29 February 2024

Bonnet Issues

As I wrote a few days ago, I removed the paint from the areas of joints on the new bonnet stiffener and headlamp cowls, coated them in weld-through primer and connected them with temporary pop rivets.

However, when it came to spot welding the lot into a composite structure, I was unable to get an electrical connection across the primer.

I had to take the whole lot apart again, take the lot back to bare metal and start again with the spot welding, which went perfectly. Can't imagine what the issue was with the primer, as I could see the flecks of zinc in the coating.


With no primer inside the joints, I'm going to have to carefully seal all the points of potential water ingress with Tiger Seal before primering (again) and painting the topcoat.


I was desperate to install the composite assembly into the bonnet, but there's no getting around the fact that the paint needs to be removed from the underside first as, with the various bits in position, access to parts of the bonnet underside will be difficult, if not impossible. It's not as if I can paint over what's already there, as the finish if hideous. A couple of days hard graft with the knotted wire brush wheel.


No comments: