Monday 5 February 2024

Bad Review

Remember I said I'd found a replacement drone on e-Bay for the one I ditched in a lake? Well, I made a bid on it and the bid was accepted at around 11am on Friday before last. On the Friday evening the owner contacted me to say he'd only just realised that e-Bay took a large slice and could I cancel the purchase. More likely, he'd realised he could have sold it for more. The figure of commission he said he'd have to pay was double what it actually is.


It being more than 60 minutes after the purchase, there was no way I could accomplish this and told him that he should have read the terms and conditions before putting it up for sale and he was thus obligated to sell it to me at the agreed price. He suggested we meet up to conclude the sale, but he lives at the other end of the country and what he suggested was contrary to e-Bay policy anyway.

The next morning I received a message from him saying he'd accidentally crashed the drone. I wonder why I was expecting this or some other disaster to befall the drone so that it didn't have to leave his possession?

Anyway, I told him to cancel the sale, but there was an audit trail of messages that gave the game away. He's going to get a bad review and, given the audit trail, I would imagine he'll get a ban from e-Bay.

I raised a flag with e-Bay for a refund, but I'm still waiting for my money back and can proceed no further till the 6th Feb, when I can ask e-Bay to intervene and refund me under their guarantee scheme.

I wouldn't mind, but in the intervening week and a bit I've lost out on bidding for other drones.


2 comments:

David Boffey said...

https://www.thepoke.com/2023/10/27/this-exasperating-exchange-perfectly-captures-the-horror-of-trying-to-sell-stuff-online/

David Boffey said...

https://www.thepoke.com/2023/10/03/the-fury-of-this-entitled-aunt-for-whom-the-offer-of-free-books-simply-wasnt-enough-is-a-proper-jaw-dropper/