Monday 13 May 2024

The Colour Problem

I have a conundrum with the colour of the GT6. Not exactly a change of heart, more the fact I've spotted a colour closer to the one I want.

Below is the colour I want the car:


I had thought Jaguar Opalescent Golden Sand was the nearest colour; however, I spotted the exact colour on a VW Golf GTi cabriolet on Bangers & Cash. I looked up the VW colours for the year and, hey presto - VW Burnished Gold Metallic.


The Jaguar Opalescent Golden Sand, while nice, is a touch too light.


Here's another VW Golf in Burnished Gold Metallic.


It's a bit difficult seeing the difference in these photos, but there is one. However, the GT6 was called the poor man's E-Type Jag when it came out. That's because the blokes who bought a GT6 really wanted an E-Type but couldn't afford it, so perhaps it should be a Jaguar colour so that whoever buys it after I've finished with it gets as near to an E-Type without the cost. 


However, to get a poor man's E-Type, then the interior has to be the same colour as the interior of an opalescent golden sand E-Type for the full effect - like below.


It also means chrome wires, rather than the Minilites it currently has. The original pressed wheels aren't bad, but they were also used on the Spitfire, and I want something far better than a Spit.


The interior of the VWs was black with 'orrible wheels, which lack opulence.

Thoughts and opinions welcome?

After Much Buggering About in the Garage (that quaint, Cotswold village), I managed to get the bonnet support tube fitted into the bonnet, which pulled the lower wings in nicely.


Gaps are nowhere near correct, but that's because the bonnet isn't yet supported at the front, but raise the front and the gappage is near perfect.

I turned my attention to the engine yesterday and preparing it for removal. Try as I might, I just couldn't free the exhaust manifold from the exhaust. I think I'm going to have to cut the exhaust downpipe, but the intention is to replace it with a stainless one with a modded manifold, so it's no great shakes to cut the downpipe.

The UJ holding the gearbox to the propshaft is proving difficult too - I managed to push one side of the UJ through and remove the opposite roller cap, but pushing it back the other way to remove the other roller cap isn't proving easy and needs some thinking about. Access isn't easy either, which isn't helping. 


No comments: