Thursday 16 May 2024

Uh-Oh - Yet Another Toy

For a while now I've been on the lookout for a classic moped to put on the back of the motorhome for shopping trips and the like when camped out; however, all the ones I've seen advertised are sheds that no-one has even bothered to check as to whether they run or not - and they cost well in excess of £800.

I managed to snap this near-perfect example of a 1972 Mobylette pedal-and-pop for £420 on Facebook Market last weekend.



 


I didn't even bother haggling. It's all totally original, with the V5. Yes, I could probably get one for half the price in France or the Netherlands, but to find one even near this price in the UK is very rare.

Had some trouble starting it when I got it home, but that was down to me ignoring the fact it's French. I initially thought O on the fuel tap stood for zero (and therefore shut) and F stood for Fuel. R wasn't a problem, as that's Reserve. I then realised (after much huffing a puffing and finally detaching the fuel pipe from the carburettor to see what's what) that O stands for Ouvrir - or Open - and F is Fermer.

Now I don't yet know the exact model (it's not on the V5), but at first glance it looked like a 50V by virtue of the shock absorbers on the back end. Some further research on a Facebook Nerd Group revealed that it's possibly a 51V. This was derived from the frame number; however, the frame number, while a stamped tag, is not strictly kosher, so someone may have put a 51V number on it to register it with the DVLA. In any case, the 51V wasn't manufactured till 1980.

It's a single seater, yet there are models with a pillion seat, but in order to put a dual seat on this I'd need to obtain some foot pegs, originals of which are apparently as rare as hens' teeth. Not only that, the ones with a dual seat generally have the rear shockers more vertical and attached further back on the frame to improve support of the passenger. As it is, I think there's too much of an overhang where the pillion passenger would sit and I believe modification would be necessary, such as moving the shocker top support, or welding on an additional stay. That said, I've seen images of Mobys with a dual seat and forward raked shocks, so I heaved my vast bulk on to the luggage rack and it supported me famously.

I may struggle to get it on the motorhome bike carrier, but there's plenty of scope for lightening it - for example I could get rid of the luggage carrier, remove the weighty mudguards, lightweight shock absorbers, racing seat, ensure the tank is empty for transport, etc.. I wouldn't want to remove the chain guards, as my 1970s flares might get caught up in the chain. I guess I could 3D print some plastic mudguards and other bits to lighten it. It would also be nice to design a small, collapsible trailer on which I can put the kayaks when we're camped a mile or so from water.

The bike carrier is more than capable of taking the weight, which is 36kg unladen, but what will be more of a battle is lifting it onto the bike carrier, which will be a 2 person job. 

The fuel tank capacity is 3.6L, which should give a range of about 75 miles, if the specs are anything to go by, plus road tax is zero and insurance for Hay and me is only £66 a year.

I'm not going to renovate it as it's got natural patina and the areas of rust are so small they can be eliminated with touch-up paint. I think I've found a match and have ordered a 400ml spray can.

Even if I don't use it, No.2 Son can use it when he comes home from Uni after graduation and until he learns to drive and takes his test. It will extend his range for jobs, which he'll need in order to pay the rent on his room.


No comments: