Friday 19 April 2024

Chassis Front

Thought I'd tackle the front of the chassis where various critical bits required to mount the bonnet and protect the wheels in a crash had been cut off my the previous owner.

My original thought was to cut off the chassis rails and weld on the complete replacement section I'd purchased, but lengthening or shortening the chassis by even the slightest amount would result in enormous problems when fitting the bonnet, and welding on the complete section would be permanent.

I decided instead to simply remove the front crossmember that is attached to the car's chassis rails, replacing it with the same section from the replacement which has all the missing bits. This would require a bit of easy cutting on the car, but some very difficult cutting on the replacement section's chassis rails, as there were bits that are very hard to reach with a disc cutter.

The theory was that I would be able to tack the replacement crossmember (with attached bonnet hinge boxes) to the car's chassis rails when fitting the bonnet, facilitating minute adjustment in the instance of the positioning being slightly out. You can see in the photo below what's replacing what.


The old cross member came off without too much trouble, as access was easy for the disc cutter.


I removed the blanks that had been welded over the ends of the chassis rails, noting that someone had filled the rails with an anti-corrosion compound, which is why the chassis looks quite good. Having the ends open will facilitate a flush through and replacement of the anti-corrosion with something newer.

When it came to the replacement section I started with the cutting disc to remove the chassis rails, but eventually had to resort to my electric axe (plasma cutter), as I couldn't get the disc cutter between the branching arms of the chassis rails.


I knew I'd find a use for the plasma cutter eventually. It's a bit of a blunt instrument in my hands, but I dare say that with a bit of practice I'd be able to effect neat cuts; however, neat cuts weren't a requirement in this instance, as cutting and grinding with a disc would be required anyway to fair up the ends.


Once I'd finished the replacement I offered it up to the chassis rails, but it wouldn't go over them. Had a bit of a think and realised I hadn't ground the old crossmember remains from under the chassis rails, so it was no wonder the new crossmember wouldn't go over the rails. I, did a bit more cutting, grinding and air-chiseling and it finally fitted.


It's not perfect and there's still a bit of metal bending and gentle encouragement with a mallet before it fits like a glove, but I'm very happy with the result so far.

Having completed the job over a couple of days, I still can't help but think it might have been easier to simply remove the hinge boxes and outriggers from the new section and weld them to the stubs of the old chassis. That said, the method chosen does allow more fiddle room when finally fitting the bonnet.

It's interesting to note that two new bonnet hinges would have cost me £250, whereas the 2nd hand section I bought was £75, so I saved a packet and it only cost me my own free time. The outrigger aren't even available as separate items.


No comments: