Tuesday 2 April 2024

Mekkin Things

On my birthday we went to a local pub/restaurant called The King's Arms in Didmarton. It's our new favourite eatery - an excellent (almost fine dining) menu at reasonable prices.

On the wall, opposite where we were sat, was a country-style wall decoration. I was intrigued as to what it was and asked. It was a pair of crossed horse hames, being devices that attach to a horse's collar.

I decided to buy a set and found these on e-Bay, which were very reasonably priced at £25 for the pair.


I discovered that they're mainly brass, with the attachments being iron, so I cleaned them up with some sandpaper, Jenolite (for the iron parts) and some black paint.



They'll look very nice attached to the chimney breast, if Hay allows me to mount them there. She did ask if I had a hankering for horse brasses.... Might just get some and put them on the mantlepiece, simply to annoy her. I have a suspicion they'll become garage wall art.


No comments: