Saturday 13 April 2024

Yorkshire Pudding?

 Does anyone understand the purpose of Yorkshire puddings?


It may just be because I wasn't born in the UK, but their purpose completely eludes me. It's not even as if they're tasty. I guess they started as stodgy fillers for desperately poor people who couldn't afford much meat, but today? Some don't consider a Sunday roast to be complete without these cardboard accompaniments.  

I was raised in Lancashire and I can't remember my mother ever making Yorkshire puddings when I was a kid.


I can certainly understand them being dusted with icing sugar, a dollop of butter and perhaps drizzled with syrup as a dessert, like poffertjes in the Netherlands (although the dutch ones, above, are much smaller), but not with a main course.


2 comments:

RannedomThoughts said...

They didn't start out as stodgy fillers for plebs simply because poor people didn't have ovens. The poor ate food boiled or steamed because a fire was their only means of cooking. It's a top down thing that the poor adopted only when mass-produced wood or coal-fired ranges became available, then electric and gas ovens.

When I was young, my older brother only ever ate his cold with syrup.

David Boffey said...

"Does anyone understand the purpose of Yorkshire puddings?"
To soak up t'gravy.