Saturday 17 May 2014

And I Make My Own Dresses Too


Spent yesterday baking sourdough (wholemeal and white), garlic and rosemary focaccia and lemon drizzle cake for the table-top sale this afternoon at the village hall that Hayley roped me into.


That's only part of the haul. Also jarred up some of my sourdough starter to sell.

Tried an experiment on the focaccia - used a tin of French onion soup for half of the water content - Lidl are doing tins of the stuff for £0.79.

Baking in bulk is hideous if you don't have the equipment in bulk too.

I heartily detest this Redfyre AGA-style oven we bought. For all its size, we have 2 hotplates and 2 ovens, the normally aspirated of which (as opposed to fan assisted) takes forever to get to temperature. An absolute waste of money, space and weight - half of the front is either controls or simply wasted space. Basically it's a lifestyle statement, and not a very good one at that. The thought 'more money than sense' has crossed my mind several times in the last year or using it. You can't even program the damned thing, which is something the cheapest high street cooker accomplishes at a mere fraction of the price.