Saturday 3 May 2014

BT Overspill - Again - at The Cross Hands


BT Infinity conked out again at 03:30 Friday morning. Made the usual report to BT India (along with an additional report of 0.17Mb bownload speed for the ordinary BT Broadband connection in Hayley's dad's house) and waited.

Problem was resolved at about 11:00, when Infinity came back on line at full strength (although there's still no proper service in Hay's dad's house).

At 17:30 I got a call from BT India (the call was promised to be between 13:00 and 15:00, but no matter) to tell me that the engineers are working on the problem at the exchange. No matter how many times I said the broadband was working now, the Indian  woman on the other end of the phone was insistent I still had no broadband connection and it would be fixed. She was obviously reading from a script and would not be budged, regardless of the facts.

BT is an Indian company, isn't it?

Glances upward in frustration.

What I like about the internet (and smartphones) is the fact they become memory overspill. Last night I was wracking my brain for a name, but couldn't for the life of me remember it. A quick search on "Women in Love" produced Alan Bates - the name I was looking for.

We went out for dinner en famille at the The Cross Hands last night. For the first time ever, I was asked not to use my electronic cigarette by an embarrassed waiter. Apparently the chain has issued a blanket policy of banning them as they; "May encourage others to light real cigarettes." It's the fallacious slippery slope argument, which leaves rationality behind and fails to demonstrate inevitability. Needless to say, that establishment won't be having my custom again.

Off to collect a rotovator - becoming enamoured with the creation of a garden.


No comments: