Thursday 13 September 2018

A Load of Danger in Pensions


Was on the M4/M5 interchange yesterday and spotted this dangerous load, the danger of which the driver seemed totally oblivious of.


I'll bet anything that he was pulled over by the police. Well, I hope he was...

Got an unexpected windfall this week. Apparently one of my pensions matured on my last birthday in March and I didn't claim it, which is not like me, as I'm usually right on top of financial matters. I mustn't have fully read one of the letters sent to me in March, which is excusable given I have some 10 pensions from different sources.

It's a pitiful amount, but there was an option I was meant to make. One option was a small lump sum of £2.4k and about £3k a year; the other was a reduction in the pension of some £700 and a much larger lump sum of £16k. I've worked out I need to live to over 81 to benefit from the higher pension, which, based on the age of my parents when they died and the fact I'm much healthier than they were at my age, I believe I will exceed by several years.

On the other hand, I could invest the £16k they're offering me as a bribe to take the lower pension and perhaps make more. I could also die well before I'm 81. Tough decision, but I think I'd rather have the higher pension and save it, as I'd probably go and blow the £16k on something like a basket case e-Type to restore while not even having a garage to restore it in.

Mind you, £16k would go a long way to building a decent garage....


2 comments:

GeoffH said...

Despite blandishments at the tine, I never lump-summed any of my pensions and glad to say I did the right thing.

Chairman Bill said...

A sensible man, I deer, Geoff.