Monday 24 September 2018

Old Yeller Tales


Managed to fix a waterproof USB connection to the Old Yeller yesterday, without drilling a hole in the fairing or having unsightly cable ties all over the place. I have a phone RAM-Grip on order (again from China and due to arrive next week), which actually includes a USB connection, but I thought that if I connect a separate one under the seat (which is a locked compartment), connected direct to the battery, rather than the lights, it would enable me to leave my phone safely on charge whenever I parked the bike. So, two USB connections - one somewhere in front as part of the phone holder and connected to the lighting circuit - the lights being on when I'm riding the bike - and another locked away under the seat for when parked, but nevertheless needing to charge my, or Hay's phone.

Managed to snaffle a nice tank bag on Facebook market, which was rather sad looking when I bought it for £10 - manky as hell and a bit mouldy. Some soap powder and bleach spray brought it up like new. Unfortunately it's a magnetic one for metal tanks, whereas my tank is plastic - there's no way I'm Supergluing magnets or metal strips on Old Yeller. Easily fixed, however, with some additional webbing and quick-release buckles I've ordered from eBay for under a tenner.


It's an Oxford Sport Lifetime Luggage item; there are another two smaller bags that go with this one, zipping one on top of another to form a pyramid, one of them doubling as a small backpack. Must have been quite expensive when new. Might eventually go for a Quick-Lock system that goes on the tank filling ring, but the bags fitted with this device are an arm and a leg. I suppose I could buy a ratty, 2nd hand one off eBay and adapt the Quick-Lock so it fits on the yellow bag.

Until I sort out a permanent home for the bike, it's languishing in a shed at the top of the garden, about 100m away from the house and all my tools. Yesterday's little job took 10 times longer than it should have done as I had to do innumerable trips up and down the garden to get all the required tools. "Oh, I need an Allen key," so a trip up and down the garden. "Now I need a pair of scissors," and another trip up and down, etc, etc. Might end up simply taking the shed apart and moving it near the house.


First chance for some fun yesterday, once the sun came out.


2 comments:

GeoffH said...

The way you're going it will probably end up in your bedroom (where you see it first thing in the morning). Enjoy ....

Chairman Bill said...

Excellent idea!