Sunday 16 September 2018

Names Please


Well, I'm not dead. Came back from Walsall after picking up the bike via Ross-on-Wye, where Hay took this photo (she had to collect a garden table and some chairs she'd bought there a couple of weeks ago for her father - and no, I didn't carry them on the bike).


It was a bit hairy testing the bike out, as the roads around the seller's house were plagued with speed humps, but she seemed fine at the limited speeds. Once on the M6 I had to get used to the cramped riding position, which was a bit wearing on the arms and legs, but you can rest your chest on the petrol tank occasionally to gain some respite for the arms.

Getting used to the instant throttle response to is also going to need some getting used to, as my old cruiser just wound up speed gradually. This beast takes off like a bat out of Hell. The wing mirrors are next to useless, as all you can see is your arms, The only way in which you can see if someone is behind you is to draw your arms in at the elbow, or thrust your elbows out and look through the gap between your body and your arms.

Overall, the Daytona is an absolute scorcher and I'm well pleased with her.

I'd forgotten about the bikers' code whereby bikers nod at each other when passing. It's a bit like owners of particular marques of classic car flashing each other when they meet on the road.

The Daytona 955i was Triumph's very credible effort at taking on the Japanese superbike manufacturers, which was achieved by the use of 3 cylinders instead of 2, which was a distinct innovation. You simply wouldn't believe this bike is 20 years old. She now needs a name - any suggestions welcome. The Yellow Peril? The Flying Banana? Suggestions in the usual place, please.

Spotted this nice Merc 380SLC in my local petrol station while filling up the Trumph. I'd happily divest myself of my '94 Merc 500SL to get one of the earlier generations like this, but an SL would be preferred and not an SLC, although beggars can't be choosers.



12 comments:

GeoffH said...

Prenez garde mon brave

Chairman Bill said...

Naturellement, je vise à vivre dans mes 90 ans.

Roger said...

I broke my leg sailing a few years ago and I find it difficult to ride for long periods now as it hurts under my knee where the break was. At 6' - 5" i found Kawasaki had a higher seat but ive always fancied a Triumph.

Chairman Bill said...

I really wanted a British bike. Once Norton gets into production of its new Commando and it ages a bit, I might add to the stable.

lsneeden said...

I bought one of them new when they were first released, upon looking at a picture. Great choice!

Angela said...

I had a car the colour - sometimes called the yellow peril, at other times, Tweetie-pie

Chairman Bill said...

Had to be a British bike.

Chairman Bill said...

Has to be Mellow Yellow, or MellYell for short.

boromax said...

Not Rebel Yellow?

Chairman Bill said...

Too Confederate.

Chairman Bill said...

Old Yeller?

boromax said...

Sad story; the dog dies! "Rebel" - I was thinking of a reference to Billy Idol...