Sunday 9 September 2018

Anniversary Present


Last night I won myself a wedding anniversary present on an eBay auction; a 1998, Triumph Daytona 955i in mint condition.


The choice was to be either a BMW K1200 RS or the Triumph Daytona, but the name Triumph clinched it - it's iconic. When I made the announcement, Hay looked at me as if I was mad. She suggested I divest myself of my 1994 Mercedes 500SL - that's not going to happen this side of the 2nd coming.

I'd made a snipe on another Daytona earlier in the week and was convinced I'd won it for under £900 (an absolute snip, but it did have some work necessary on it), but I'd accidentally made the snipe on another bike I'd been watching by mistake. Luckily the snipe was lower than the bidding price on that particular bike and so there was no damage done.

On learning I'd won the auction, I immediately created a £50 snipe on a full set of matching leathers in yellow and black that no-one else seemed interested in (auction ends at 5pm today), bought some gloves and a yellow helmet, once again doing my usual trick of not taking note of the sending location - the helmet will not arrive from China for 2 weeks,...

Given the bike is located in Walsall and I won't have the necessary protective clothing before collection time next weekend, it's going to have to be a collection by trailer. Luckily my trailer was purpose built for bikes, having the necessary lugs on the base to strap it into position.

I suggested to Hay that we could use it (the bike, not the trailer) to go away for weekends, but she asked how that would be possible when the bike has no cargo carrying capacity. That's where we differ - I'm more than happy to go away for a week wearing just what I'm standing up in, whereas she insists on having several changes of clothes and a few home comforts. Obviously I'm going to have to start searching on eBay for a sidecar. As the review in the link above states though; "There is also a dual-seat option for those wanting to squeeze some poor sod on the back, but that's not what this bike is about."


5 comments:

GeoffH said...

Where, I ask, will it all end?

You're welcome to visit the Royal A on your 2nd hand toy.

Chairman Bill said...

Might just do that, Geoff.

It won't end till I get an e-Type.

Chairman Bill said...

...and Happy Birthday!

boromax said...

Well sniped! Will you go faster if you have your rollerblades on while driving the motorcycle?

Chairman Bill said...

Ha! I could strap a motorcycle to each foot and then I'd certainly Rollerblade faster...