Sunday 6 October 2019

Self-Assembly Sport


Today is the first day in 2 weeks I've not been to unicycle practice. Hay's dad blocked the drive with his car last night after coming back from a family meal out. I'm not best pleased with him.

Managed to get the windsurfer together yesterday. Working blind and not knowing the first thing about windsurfers, I had to look at a few YouTube videos to see what went where and needed to make a small jury rig to get the tail fin to stay in situ but, all together, I seem to have made a reasonable fist of it. 


I thought the harness was far too small, despite having belonged to the father of the lady who sold it to me. I could just about squeeze my bulk into it, but then I couldn't breathe. Later I had a brainwave - perhaps I should wear it like a pair of breeches instead of over my shoulders like a vest. I had been wearing it upside down. Fits perfectly. The chaffing on what I thought were the shoulder straps should have been a clue.


Not sure how quickly I'll be able to reassemble and disassemble it in anger at a venue, but I'll have the opportunity later today at Clevedon Marine Lake to have a good session of falling off it for a few hours. Hay's taking the paddleboard as her chosen weapon.

Over the next month it's Oxwich Bay in the Gower, where there are bound to be a good few windsurfers who can show me a few tips. Then West Kirby Marine Lake to combine a bit of sport with my sister-in-law's 70th birthday party. Might take the unicycle to that one and ride it around the dance floor in a suit of lights like Peter Gabriel...

Just realised it's Sober October. Ever been the only sober person at a party? It's miserable.


No comments: