Monday 7 October 2019

Sport Abort


I did eventually manage to get the unicycling practice in yesterday - Hay's dad moved his car around 7am and, given Tesco did't open till 10, I had a good half hour session. It struck me that learning to unicycle is rather like learning to walk - it's not something you learn in a short space of time and the control needed is very similar. It seems easy once you have learned to do it and it comes naturally, despite it requiring very well tuned motor and balancing skills. Your feet are only a bit wider than a unicycle tyre, after all. It's like walking along a straight line, but as a 13 month old baby. I've found that a lot of the control comes from the hips.

We went to Cleveland Marine Lake yesterday, but the wind was too high for a novice windsurfer and dodging the swimmers could have proven lethal - for the swimmers - not that I think I would have progressed beyond falling off a few times.

We then went along the coast a bit to recce Weston-Super-Mare Marine Lake, but again there wasn't enough shelter. Further along the beach, expert windsurfers and kite surfers were out in force.



I asked one of them whether a novice should attempt to learn in the prevailing wind conditions, to which he responded no, and certainly not without a full, 5mm wetsuit. So, discretion being the better part of valour, we came home and I spent a few hours finding a suitable full wetsuit on Amazon to replace my shortie. Hopefully, it will arrive in the next couple of days.

However, Hay now has a yen to get a kite surfing kit, but they're not cheap, even 2nd hand.


No comments: