Friday 26 March 2021

Bonsai Tools

Trigger's ride-on mower was brought into action this week. Once more it required some judicious surgery on the deck.


The mower is probably going to last this year only and then I'm going to have to invest something like £800 on a decent replacement, but I'm loath to do that till I've built a garage, or at least a bit of a barn to keep it in. 

To continue on the tool thread, I happened to spot a cheap bandsaw on Facebook Market with the seller being only a mile away and couldn't resist it. Snapped it up and organised to collect it yesterday morning to add to my growing saw collection.


I was chatting to the seller on his doorstep and happened to mention a nice fir tree in his front garden that looked like he was training into a rather intricate shape with wire. It transpired he is an expert bonsai grower - a hobby I dabbled with a couple of decades ago when living in Caversham. He told me to go round the side gate into his back garden to see his collection (Covid securely) and I took these photos of the treasure trove I found.






What a collection! Some he grew from seed and others he collected from the wild and trained with wire, snippers and a lot of patience. It must be worth a fortune. He even exhibited on the continent pre-Covid. 

It might even rekindle my love of bonsai growing, although it's primarily a young man's game if you're starting from scratch - you have to live long enough to see the fruits of your labours, or at least have someone to pass your collection on to when you peg it.


No comments: