Tuesday 9 March 2021

Bronze, Rope, Steel & Harry & Meghan

Just an observation on the Harry and Meghan story; while not all people who bandy about the words; "Playing the race card," are necessarily racists; however, racists use it all the time. It's also an observation that those who feel most compelled to look up to a certain class of people also feel to need to look down on another class of people in order to feel their position in the hierarchy of the class system is secure. Another, final observation; Harry and Meghan are holding up a mirror to the Royal Family, the press and the nation - the more you see the nastier side of yourself, the angrier you will be.

Through an old school friend in the leisure boating business, I've managed to find an outfit that supplies bronze shackles. 



I haven't dared ask the prices yet; however, none of them are wide enough for the shackle required. I need 30mm and 25mm C lengths. Might have to simply paint the stainless shackles to make them more harmonious with the bell.

I also need a new bell rope - the current polypropylene one is rather scratty. Now I could have a go myself, as at nautical school (late 60s) we made bell ropes, knotted straps for canvas bags and knotted lanyards for band instruments. However, I've not had any practice for over 50 years. Probably better to buy one, like this.



In Dutch they're known as a dog's dick, for obvious reasons. Don't look it up on Google Images if you're of a sensitive disposition - you'll get something else.

I took the kono grill's oversized damper to my friend, Stuart, the fabricator. The first thing he said to me was; "So you sold your table then?" Our old dining table had a stainless steel centre leaf that Stuart had made for us some 6 years ago, and we sold the table just before Christmas when we got a smaller, round table. Stuart was in a house (I'm not sure whether it was a friend of his or a job he was working on) and spotted the same table. How synchronicitous is that?

Anyway, he's cutting the damper down to size for me and giving me a quote for a cradle in which I can put half an oil drum as a party-sized BBQ.


No comments: