Thursday 12 May 2022

Annual Argument

It's time for the annual argument about the garden - one where we eventually come to a compromise. However, the compromise also results in me saying I'm not mowing the garden, but always end up doing so, as Hay doesn't have the time.

This is our garden and Hay and her sister like to give large portions of it over being unmown.


Now, the alleged reason for leaving unmown areas is to encourage wild flowers and provide a sanctuary for wildlife. That, however, is despite this being on the other side of the hedge on the left-hand side of our garden.


An entire common that's filled with wild flowers and mown once or twice a year. 

I just don't get it. It results in a huge amount of effort in the autumn, as we don't have a motorised implement capable of cutting long grass. 

That's not quite true - I do have an Allen scythe, but it has been languishing at a local garage for the last 2 years, waiting for a friend to replace the solenoid, which first required the seized-on clutch to be removed. I keep getting promises that he'll tackle it soon, but I just get the impression he's one of those people who can't say no.


No comments: