Friday 20 May 2022

Regrets

 I have no fear of dying, but I will have regrets;


  1. Only having myself to talk to, and
  2. Not knowing how it all pans out for mankind.
That's it.

When I'm dead I'll sit there pondering, wherever I am, if there indeed is an I to ponder anything, which I doubt.

On the 2nd regret, not's not widely understood, but we Homo Sapiens have only been around for a very short time and are new boys on the block. Homo Erectus was around for 2m years, whereas we have had hegemony for only a quarter of a million years. In the 5Bn years left, it may be some weirdly evolved descendant who rules the roost, providing we don't utterly destroy our planet first.

Even if we manage to avoid our sun burning out, humanity may perish in a Big Crunch or a Heat Death, the latter currently being the favoured scenario, but it would be nice to know whether we somehow could avoid either option. Time travel, perhaps, or escape to another parallel universe.


No comments: