Monday 9 May 2022

Philosophical Lambretta Legend

 We spent the weekend in the gorgeous little town of Hay-on-Wye, where I spotted this.


It's a a 1955 (the year of my birth) Lambretta F 125 and appears to have weathered the years better than me. It must be worth a small fortune. I saw it put-putting past us early on Saturday morning and then spotted it later propped against a wall.

In my youth I had a Lambretta SX 225 (an SX 200 rebored to 225cc) in Arctic White and English Electric Blue, which was easily the best Lambretta in Southport. It was previously owned by one of my best friends, whose father owned the only scooter emporium in Southport, and so he had the pick of the crop.

Seeing the F 125 got me, once again, to thinking about a towbar-mounted motorcycle carrier for the motorhome - for a brief moment.

We were staying in a motorhome campsite that was a 5 minute walk from the town centre, which accommodated only 5 very widely spaced vans. It was idyllic.


As many will know, Hay-on-Wye holds the internationally famous Literary Festival, which was stated in the 60s but, more recently, they've created another festival - How the Light Gets In, which is advertised as Britain's answer to TED talks and comprises debates on philosophy, interspersed with music.

A bit too late to book for this year, but I'd certainly like to attend next year.


No comments: