Saturday 14 May 2022

Towbars

I'm thinking of getting a small petrol scooter to put on the back of the motorhome - the e-bikes are fine, but I have to mount two of them and Hay's not that keen, for some inexplicable reason, on riding something I've built. Can't imagine why.

To this end, I've been investigating both towbars and scooter racks. The towbar wasn't meant to be much of an issue, except one has to go for the type where the towball is attached as a bracket, rather than a swan-neck. I ordered one on e-Bay, but when it arrived it was pretty obvious it was for an ordinary Fiat Ducato van and not a motorhome conversion, which has a longer overhang and chassis rail extensions, so back it went.

There is a myriad different kinds of scooter carrier. Not exceeding the maximum permissible rear axle weight is a key issue, so I need something that's relatively light, but sturdy.

I saw this advertised locally on Facebook Market and went to view it.





Now it's very nice, and cheap - new price is £412 and this one was being sold for £250. However, it's rather weighty. I didn't buy it, thinking (correctly) that the towbar should come first.

I did come across something called a Tag Z scooter carrier, which is much lighter, simpler and very much cheaper. Variants of this start at around £70-80.


It comes with a central bracket that replaces the towball and two extensions that fit to the bracket and accommodate the scooter wheels.

Obtaining a motorhome towbar is going to be the major issue now, as I believe these are damned expensive. I have, however, located one for my exact motorhome model on the internet, which is being sold 2nd hand - if it's still available. It looked like an old advert (not on e-Bay) and I've contacted the seller to see it he still has it. Price is £250 and it's in Selby with collection only - about 4 hours drive. We could always do a weekend trip to Yorkshire in the motorhome and pick it up. As of today, no response.

I've also been looking into a DIY solution and I've seen stories on motorhome forums of people making chassis rail extensions out of 2 inch steel box sections and bolting these to the chassis. One bloke maintained he'd made one, and a scooter platform, for £100, which seems a very reasonable cost. 


No comments: