Monday 30 May 2022

Trailer Foor

I decided to go for 3m decking planks for the trailer floor. The grooves will aid in ensuring the floor drains, although the grooves are meant to go on the underside.


Here's the trailer for my new film....


More expensive than OSB, but infinitely more robust and longer lasting - I've oiled them with boiled linseed oil to protect them. I love the smell of boiled linseed oil; it should be bottled and used as a men's aftershave.

Planks were £9.45 each (12 x 3m lengths) from a local supplier in Thornbury, which ain't a bad price. I could have spent an age looking for reclaimed wood of the correct length, and I'm going to need the trailer in the not too distant future.

Screwed them into a wooden crossmember near the axle and then added battens at either end to keep them from bowing. I didn't really want to drill into the trailer metal to attach the boards, if I can avoid it, as it's a weak point for electrolytic rusting.

I called in at another garden wood supplier in Wickwar, but he wanted over £24 for 3.6m lengths - twice the price! A new estate has just been built over the road from his small yard and he now has a captive, DIY market. Can't blame him, but I certainly won't be buying garden wood from him.


No comments: